“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

A Witty Austen Murder Mystery! --"Murder in Highbury" by Vanessa Kelly—Review


 My Review:

"Murder in Highbury" by Vanessa Kelly is a murder mystery that takes place in the world of Jane Austen’s “Emma.”  The events in this story take place soon after the events in “Emma.”  This story is perfect for fans of Jane Austen, witty stories, and murder mysteries!  You do not have to have read Austen’s novel to enjoy this charming book, although fans will be delighted with how true to Austen the author stays in “Murder in Highbury.”  Ms. Kelly gives readers a good explanation of events in the original “Emma” book, in case the reader is not familiar with it. As a huge fan of both Austen and “Emma” myself, I loved that reading “Murder in Highbury” felt like I was reading another one of Austen’s works. Ms. Kelly really knows her Austen and has a great grasp on the beloved characters. Everything they do and say in her novels feels so true to their character. “Murder in Highbury” is written with a wit and wry humor and Emma has some great one liners. The mystery is so well done, and I was fully invested throughout. I was able to guess who committed the crime, just before the reveal. Of course Emma would get involved in a murder mystery; and who better to write it than Ms. Kelly? I cannot wait to see what Emma gets up to next!

Content: I give this a PG rating. Some examples of the content are: the words “as*,” “hell,” “bloody,” “dam*ation,” “bastard,” and “devil” are used; the Lord’s name is taken in vain; sexual innuendo; characters drink alcohol, talk of people possibly being lovers; says someone isn’t a virgin.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Great review as always! I love the cover design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much! I appreciate you stopping by and reading my review. I love the cover too <3

      Delete