“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Thursday, June 22, 2017

"Freedom's Price" Review by Christine Johnson--A Book Filled with Mystery and Secrets!



"Freedom's Price" by Christine Johnson surprised me--in a good way! I am unfamiliar with Ms. Johnson’s other work, but after reading “Freedom’s Price”, the third book in her “Keys of Promise” series, I now really want to go back and read the first two books! I always have lower expectations going into a book that I don't know much about, so I was very happy when I enjoyed this so much!

Even though this is the third book in a series, it can be read as a stand-alone. You do meet some characters from past books, and seeing tidbits of these character's stories left me intrigued and wanting more. The history in this book is great and I loved learning about this time period in the Southern United States in 1856. I find the story regarding the wreckers and wrecking licenses fascinating. I didn't know there are such things as "wrecking licenses" and have always have seen wrecking in other books as an illegal activity. There are also a lot of nautical and boat references and I can tell the author knows her way around a ship. It is fascinating to see the differences in the customs and social statuses between the British and Americans (our heroine, Catherine, is from Britain and travels to the Southern United States) and to see slavery from Catherine's viewpoint (as slavery is already outlawed in Great Britain). I always enjoy learning about history while reading an enjoyable story!

 I also think the characters are very relatable and Catherine is a strong female protagonist. The story switches back and forth between Catherine and Tom's (our hero) points of view. When Catherine is left alone due to hard circumstances, she doesn't take the easy way out by marrying for comfort and money. Instead, she decides to join her mother's family in America (she hasn't had contact with this family for many years and doesn't even know how they will receive her). I admire how she sacrifices the small amount of money she receives from her inheritance to give to her tenants, as they will be losing their jobs and she wants to make sure they are taken care of. Catherine and Tom both have a strong faith. I love how they pray and talk about trusting in God and His plan. Tom quotes Scripture when he's in a tough situation and doesn't know what to do, asking for God's direction. There's also some great verbal sparring between Catherine and Tom that keeps me smiling!

 This story left me pleasantly surprised. I love the concept of a run-down plantation surrounded by mystery and secrets!

 Link to purchase this book: http://amzn.to/2sZFrKA

 Link to Christine Johnson's website: http://www.christineelizabethjohnson.com/

 Content and Rating: I give this story 4 out of 5 stars. It is a clean read.

 I want to thank Christine Johnson and Revell for the complimentary advanced copy of this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I express in this review are my own. This is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s CFR 16, Part 255.

 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy well written historical fiction that teaches me new things about a period of time so when you mention "wrecking licenses" (something I've ne re heard of), I'm intrigued. I've read several books about this time period but your review succeeded in explaining new aspects it that I can learn, amidst an enjoyable story. I'm adding to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks Lisa!! Yes, I love learning new things while reading for fun as well! The whole "wrecking license" part of the story is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete