“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Friday, August 4, 2017

"The Legacy" by Michael Phillips Review-- A Heartfelt Story of Faith and Family in the Shetlands




"The Legacy" is a heartfelt story of faith and family.  I love anything to do with Scotland, so I was eager to pick this book up.  I've also read some of Michael Phillips's other books and have enjoyed them immensely, especially the classic "Stonewycke" series.  I'm very glad I did read "The Legacy", even though I haven't yet read the first two books in this series! 

"The Legacy" by Michael Phillips is the third book in the "Secrets of the Shetlands" series.  The beginning of the book summarizes the plot from the first two books well.  The narrative does of course refer to events in the other books of the series as it is the continuation of Loni and David's story (the characters living in present day), but instead of focusing on Loni and David, "The Legacy" also tells the story of their ancestors.  We also get to see the conclusion of Loni and David's story, and while it's this portion of the book that had me wishing I had read the prior books, it isn't too confusing to read on its own.    

The physical book itself is beautiful and has a map of the island in the Shetlands where much of the story takes place, as well as a family tree.  Even though it is a longer book, it's written in short chapters, which makes for a fast-paced read.  The story shifts between 2006 and 1924 and is told from multiple characters’ points of view.  Some of the characters in the book are of the Quaker faith, which I found interesting to read and learn more about. 

Picture of the Shetlands

There is a theme of family heritage woven throughout the whole story.  The setting in the Shetland Islands is breathtaking and evocative.  The descriptions are so well written that I felt like I was transported to these islands.  The reader is introduced to a slower paced life and the story is also told in a slower way, making the reader slow down and think.  You really settle in and immerse yourself in the island and that culture.  There is also a deep spiritual and theological element.  I know Michael Phillips loves George MacDonald and draws a lot of inspiration from this writer (MacDonald is even mentioned in the book). 

My only critiques are that this book isn't really a stand-alone, although I was still able to understand and enjoy the story.  It is also told at a slower pace (I did enjoy that, but some may find it slower than they would like).  There are also many characters and several concurrent plots, which can get confusing. 

Overall I really enjoyed this story and would especially recommend it to fans of Michael Phillips or George MacDonald and those who love Scotland. 

Content, Rating and Genre: This is a clean read.  I give this book 4.5 stars.  This is Christian Fiction (with a dual timelinehistorical and contemporary).

I want to thank Michael Phillips and Bethany House Publishers for the complimentary copy of this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I express in this review are my own. This is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s CFR 16, Part 255.

Click here to purchase the book
Click here to visit the author's website


Other books in the series:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment