“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Friday, March 2, 2012

Swashbucking Suspense!

A Review of The Pirate and His Lady by Linda Chaikin

     Backcover description:  Emerald Harwick finds herself caught in two skirmishes: a brutal pirate war over buried treasure, and a tumultuous battle for the heart of the man she loves. A romance to intrigue you.
     My Review:  This book begins where the first book in the Buccaneers series, Port Royal, leaves off.  The Pirate and His Lady is full of even more suspense, romance, and high-seas adventure than the first installation!  This is probably due to the fact that this is now the meat of the story.  The characters have been fully developed and the reader can ride along with them as they choose their fate. 
     I found this book to be much more of what I expected from the first one.  I had found Port Royal to be a little slow as far as the action, focusing more on back story.  There also was not as much romance as I had hoped.  The Pirate and His Lady promises plenty of romance and action, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat one moment and sighing with contentment the next! 
     Even though it is a fiction book, there is a lot of historical fact interspersed throughout.  I really enjoyed learning the history of the Buccaneers.  Linda Chaikin does a great job of incorporating historical facts into her stories. 
     The main characters go through a lot of trials and their faith is sorely tested.  To see how they rely on the Lord and the different Scriptures and truths they use to help them inspired me.  I know it is a good book when I find myself applying truths from it to my everyday life!
     It is a clean book.  It does have some violence, but not too graphic.  The violence is the normal sword fighting type of violence.  Everything is discussed from a Christian worldview though.  I give this book 4 stars and would definitely recommend it!

10 comments:

  1. So nice to meet someone who is also looking for uplifting, clean reads one can safely leave around the house for children to read. I will be following you.
    Gwynneth
    http://todayinshenaya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwynneth, thanks so much for the nice comment!! I will be following you as well! Thanks again, Megan

      Delete
  2. hey megan! just wanted you to know you've been tagged! enjoy and be blessed, http://karathewriter.blogspot.com/2012/03/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kara! I'll do this when I get a chance. I appreciate you including me in this. This is a great way to build contacts : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, sweetie! Sounds good, it's time consuming but fun :) I was thinking the same thing (building contacts), we bloggers have to stick together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kara, just wanted to let you know I did the "You've Been Tagged!" It was fun. Thanks again for tagging me : )

    ReplyDelete